Hi guys!! First of all…HAPPY NEW YEAR! I trust this year has been good to you and your families so far!
I am really glad to be back, I know it has been a looong while since our last post, but your trusted foodie is back and ready for action! For the first post of 2017 I thought I should take you guys back to holiday mode and go all the way to Jamaica for this great recipe. It is Banana bread with a Caribbean Twist and plenty of zest to it. I know you guys will love this one! Happy eating
2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
2 tablespoons cream cheese
1 cup white sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed overripe bananas
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons dark rum, or rum flavoring
1/2 teaspoon lime zest
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
1/4 cup flaked coconut Topping
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 teaspoons dark rum, or rum flavoring
2 tablespoons chopped toasted pecans
2 tablespoons flaked coconut
Prep : 45 m
Cook : 1 h
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. Lightly grease two 200mm x 100mm loaf pans.
- Beat together 2 tablespoons of softened butter and cream cheese in a large bowl until fluffy. Slowly beat in sugar until well incorporated. Add the egg and mix well. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl.
- In a different bowl, mix together the bananas, milk, 2 tablespoons rum, lime zest, lime juice, and vanilla extract; stir well. Pour 1/3 of the flour mixture into the butter and mix well. Mix in 1/2 of the mashed bananas. Continue with another 1/3 of the flour, followed by the remaining banana mixture, and finally the remaining flour. Fold in 1/4 cup pecans and 1/4 cup coconut flakes.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pans, and bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about one hour. When finished, cool for 10 minutes in the pan, remove, and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- After you take the banana bread out of the oven, prepare the topping by stirring together the brown sugar, remaining butter, lime juice, and 2 teaspoons of rum in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer stirring constantly; cook until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is smooth, about one minute. Remove from heat, and stir in 2 tablespoons pecans, and 2 tablespoons coconut. Spoon this topping over the loaves while they are still warm. The topping will harden slightly when the loaf cools.